The documents below explain what is involved in a surgical procedure, including risks and potential complications. Click on the languages listed below to download the package in PDF format.
We offer surgical abortion by suction D&C from 4 to 15 weeks of pregnancy.
We also offer a small number of medication abortions using methotrexate and misoprostol. This can be used from 4 to 7 weeks of pregnancy. For more information on this method of abortion please see our Information on Medication Abortion document below, the informational document or www.medicationabortion.com.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR ABORTION
Please read General Instructions for All Appointments in the Appointments section.
For a surgical abortion:
- You may want to bring someone with you into the procedure room for support. This can usually be arranged. While we generally welcome a support person in the procedure room, this will sometimes not be possible. A nurse will always be next to you during the procedure to monitor your physical wellbeing and to support you emotionally.
- You can expect to be at the clinic for 3-4 hours altogether, as can your support person. We have magazines onsite; you and your support person can also bring non-electonic books, activities (such as Sudoku), etc.
- You will not be able to drive after your procedure. If you come by car, someone else must drive you home.
- Bring a pair of socks to wear in the procedure room.
- We recommend that you eat a nutritious breakfast or lunch before your appointment (but nothing "heavy" or "greasy" like a burger and fries). Please drink enough liquids so that you do not feel thirsty. We encourage you to drink a large glass of water befor arriving and to help yourself to water from our water cooler while you are waiting.
- Take any regular medications as usual. Clients who use insulin should follow their usual meal and insulin schedule. Bring any food and supplies you will need for the time you are in the clinic. We have our own glucometer.
For a medication abortion:
- You can expect to be at the clinic for about 2 hours.
- There are no restrictions on driving after your visit.
- There are no food restrictions before your visit. Take any regular medications as usual. You will be asked to stop taking vitamins containing folic acid for a week after your visit.
- We will need a urine sample when you arrive. Please do not pee for an hour before your appointment.
Celebrating 24 years of outstanding, compassionate abortion care!
|Client Feedback |
"I wanted to thank all your staff for the kindness they showed me during this difficult time. Everyone seemed so dedicated, professional and sincere. I was somewhat afraid and distraught when I came to the clinic but was put to ease immediately. Thank you for everything."
|header photo by: |
Chris Ablett, Cap Studios