We offer surgical abortion by suction D&C from 4 to 15 weeks of pregnancy.
On the day of your abortion
Please read General Instructions for All Appointments in the Appointments section.
For a surgical abortion:
- You may want to bring someone with you into the procedure room for support. This can usually be arranged. While we generally welcome a support person in the procedure room, this will sometimes not be possible. A nurse will always be next to you during the procedure to monitor your physical wellbeing and to support you emotionally.
- You can expect to be at the clinic for 3-4 hours altogether, as can your support person. We have magazines onsite; you and your support person can also bring non-electonic books, activities (such as Sudoku), etc.
- You will not be able to drive after your procedure. If you come by car, someone else must drive you home.
- Bring a pair of socks to wear in the procedure room.
- We recommend that you eat a nutritious breakfast or lunch before your appointment (but nothing "heavy" or "greasy" like a burger and fries). Please drink enough liquids so that you do not feel thirsty. We encourage you to drink a large glass of water befor arriving and to help yourself to water from our water cooler while you are waiting.
- Take any regular medications as usual. Clients who use insulin should follow their usual meal and insulin schedule. Bring any food and supplies you will need for the time you are in the clinic. We have our own glucometer.